Friday, August 10, 2012

The back story

Isaiah 61

 The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
    because the Lord has anointed me
    to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
    to proclaim freedom for the captives
    and release from darkness for the prisoners,
 to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor
    and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,  
     and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
    instead of ashes,
the oil of joy
    instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
    instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
    a planting of the Lord
    for the display of his splendor. 

These words touched me deeply. I was in school at a Bible College here in Columbia after being led into, at the time, what I felt was a profession in counseling. I thought I would finish in the given four years, I truly did. God had other plans. During that time, these words defined my life and it was these words that gave me clear confirmation that counseling was my calling. I was here to help others and opportunities were constantly laid before me. I had volunteered at a pregnancy crisis center speaking to young women about their unwanted pregnancies and sharing the gospel with them. It was so rich in rewards, it moved me, and I was passionate about this. Everything in my life, both good and bad, had been so intricately woven into my experiences that I knew and still know that I have gifting in encouragement. I miss it all. Desperately.

I have seen people broken, so badly, that I have been moved to sadness but overpowered by hope. This kept me going.

I found out that I was pregnant and expecting our first child in October of 2009. I honestly wasn't ready, not at 29, not ever. I had a career ahead of me, a bright future, God had something more. Somehow I knew that God wanted me to name the child Isaiah. In my gut I knew it was a boy and nothing in me would accept otherwise. I was certain. I prayed and reasoned if God just gave me a son, I would do everything in my power to give this boy to Him and that he would be called Isaiah which means God is salvation. In July of 2010 Isaiah was born and changed my life. To this day he is the one thing I never knew I always wanted. I had never experienced such overwhelming, intense emotions. I was enthralled, captivated, and there was love. To this day, when he smiles, my whole world stands still. I know God's promises for him, without a doubt, are to make him an oak of righteousness. He will be a man of faith and make a difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

All the little broken pieces

 I've been in pieces for so long God, aren't you ready to me back together? Isn't it time to put them back together again? I l...